About the Communications Specialist position
We are looking for an enthusiastic and unflappable Communications Specialist to manage multiple external and internal communications projects at Snopes and to develop and implement communications strategies across the organization.
A qualified candidate is tech-savvy and experienced in developing and managing materials for public relations and promotional campaigns. An exceptional candidate will have project management experience in a newsroom or media organization and remote-work environments.
The Communication Specialist is dedicated to customer service, ever striving to increase satisfaction, loyalty, and retention. Ideally, an empathetic and solutions-focused attitude will help this team member gain the trust of colleagues, external partners, and most importantly, our readers.
Communications Specialist responsibilities are:
- Ensure clear and concise communication between departments as well as across a variety of media.
- Respond to customer complaints, requests, and queries; take ownership of issues and follow problems through to resolution. Provide excellent customer service and inspire this kind of outstanding service throughout the organization.
- Draft and edit promotional copy, such as news releases or social media posts regarding company business.
- Provide engaging content to augment communications with our readers in a variety of forms, such as text, image, and video..
- Monitor and report on feedback and online reviews. Provide community feedback to the appropriate internal teams, including product developers.
- Ensure brand consistency and alignment by training and communicating regularly with internal teams about public-facing communications strategies.
- Stay informed about all organizational changes and business developments.
- Conduct project- and media-exposure tracking, along with facilitation of internal communications.
- Build relationships with customers, potential customers, industry professionals and journalists.
- Organize smooth and adequate flow of information within the company to facilitate other business operations.
- Review and optimize existing operational systems, processes, best practices, policies and procedures.
- Manage community phone calls and correspondence.
- Stay informed on trends in digital technology.
Communications Specialist requirements are:
- Experience launching community initiatives (e.g. building an online forum, launching an ambassador program, creating an event series, or developing successful newsletters).
- Experience establishing departmental procedures and policies. In other words, possesses a desire to discover and develop new ways to do the job more efficiently.
- Ability to identify and track all relevant metrics and interpret those metrics in order to leverage future success.
- Excellent oral communication, writing and editing skills, as well as interpersonal skills. Brings organization, attention to detail, and creativity to all projects and problem-solving.
- Hands-on experience with brand management through social media.
- Knowledge of online channels of marketing and marketing practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a fast-moving team with a lot of ideas and input to share. Comfortable interpreting, incorporating, and giving timely and constructive feedback.
To apply, please provide a one-page resume and links to 3 portfolio pieces (e.g. campaigns, newsletters or press releases you developed and edited), and a short cover letter (maximum 250 words) explaining why you think you’re the top person for this job. Snopes will not consider applications missing any of these requirements. This job is non-management and fully remote. We will consider either part-time or full-time candidates or this position
Snopes.com is an independent publication owned and operated by Snopes Media Group. We are slightly more than a baker’s dozen of reporters, editors, developers, and professionals passionate about journalism, media literacy, and, of course, fighting misinformation. We work remotely — there is no official Snopes office — but we maintain a collaborative and supportive team dynamic. Learn more about our work and history here.